Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dear Singapore,

It's been a while since we've seen each other, haven't we? Yeah, I've been out of the country. I missed you while I was gone. I missed your scent, your touch, your warmth, the sight of you. I missed the feeling of you.

After all, I've known you my entire life. I've waved your flag, sang your song and pledged myself to you. I love you. I do love you even if I deeply resent you sometimes, because I see the reflection of you in me.

In the way I am insecure with my own achievements but gloat immodestly about them at the same time.

In the way I sometimes pay no heed to who I hurt as long as I get to the top and how I become tyrannical when things don't go as I planned - though I lack your dictatorial genius and ruthless ambition.

But most of all, in the way I try to gloss over my perceived failings and embarrassments while trying to pretend they don't exist.

Maybe some of your undesirable traits have passed on to me over the many years we've known each other.

I have realized now, that it is your vulnerability that draws me to you. I love you not for your sleek and fashionable image you love portraying to others. I love you for you. Who you are behind the expensive clothes and cosmetics.

I know it is hard to let go of that facade and perhaps even harder to destroy that perfect image you have been trying to maintain to outsiders; but surely it is more comfortable if you would let down your hair a little? Let go of that stomach you've been sucking in and wear some ratty black clothes once in a while. You'll be amazed at how comfortable flip-flops are when compared to the four-inch stilettos you always wear.

You don't have to try so damned hard to be perfect all the time. It's sickening to watch you castigate yourself over some stray hairs and a wrinkled blouse. You are human, not some fucking android. You're allowed some imperfections.

I know you have your insecurities, but so do I. We don't have to pretend anymore, since we're both in the same boat. The admission of your weaknesses will not lessen the love I have for you.

Listen, why don't we catch up over some drinks soon? Somewhere different from the wine bars you like to visit. Let's go for beer. You don't have to worry about a beer gut, you're still young!

Of course we'll go for Stella Artois, none of that Tiger Beer stuff.

Yet.











- - - -

something i wrote for stories.sg

not sure if they'll post mine up though.

i have this blog in any case.

aha-